A Brief History of
The Rockport Garden Club
For over 80 years the Rockport Garden Club has promoted its objectives of awareness in civic beauty, conservation, community service, ecology, and flower arranging.
Sixty-two local women gathered to form the Rockport Garden Club. The town gave permission for their use of the Community House as a meeting place.
The club raised $1,500 to purchase an area around Mill Pond. A Club committee had plans drawn for the park to be called Millbrook Meadow.
A Service Committee was established which continues to serve the citizens of Rockport and Cape Ann. From the 1940's until the 1970's, flower arranging occupied the members with elaborate flower shows held each summer at the Rockport Art Association.
As a fund raiser, the Club presented a musical revue called "Garden Gaieties".
In May a
public plant sale was held in Harvey Park which evolved over the
years to the present
In Millbrook Meadow the Club dedicated a small keystone bridge which is a miniature version of the classic keystone bridge on Granite St.
The Club established the Rena Kurth Scholarship, awarding $1000 annually to a local college student studying in a horticulture related field.
This year men were formally admitted and encouraged to join the Rockport Garden Club.
Today the Club's Town Garden committee cares for over a dozen public garden sites in Rockport with a significant working staff of dedicated Club members. The garden club has grown substantially with close to 200 members and is actively involved in a number of civic projects.